[ipxe-devel] menu & serial console

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 13:33:26 UTC 2013

On 06/03/13 05:33, Ján ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> I have similar problems too. Can you please add ipxe command, which can
> disable serial console at menu run? If this happens, I still can put some
> keys from serial or bios console, which can run an predefined command
> and disable this "feature".

There's no command to do that, but if it helps then you can configure
the serial console (at build time) to ignore interactive output such as
menus:

   #define CONSOLE_SERIAL ( CONSOLE_USAGE_STDOUT | CONSOLE_USAGE_DEBUG )

This will cause the serial console to receive normal (non-menu) output
and debug messages, but interactive terminal usage (CONSOLE_USAGE_TUI)
will be restricted to the BIOS console only.

See documentation at

   http://ipxe.org/buildcfg/console_serial
   http://ipxe.org/console

> Colours and arrow keys does not work for me too (qemu+ipxe serial).
> I don't need colours, it's displayed nicely as serial, what is OK for me.
> But arrow keys would be nice. I use menu's hot keys to navigate against
> menu, but having other navigation keys keys will be useful.

Arrow keys etc. should all work over the serial console; that's one of
the main reasons why iPXE internally uses an abstraction of an ANSI
terminal, even when driving the (extremely non-ANSI) BIOS console.  What
terminal software are you using to interact with qemu's virtual serial port?