[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] gpxe on USB or HD

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Jun 13 17:01:14 UTC 2013

On Thursday 13 Jun 2013 17:14:49 Yadin Flammer wrote:
> I've been trying to get gpxe to boot from a USB drive, and even an
> internal hard drive, but no luck.  Using the ISO for a CD works
> perfectly, but a USB key would be much more convenient.  The .usb and
> .dsk files that download appear to be corrupt every time as no
> application can open them (winimage says they are corrupt), or the
> contents when dd to a disk under linux are corrupt.  Copying the
> contents of the .iso to a USB drive or internal HD does not result in a
> bootable system regardless of the format or setup of the drive.
>
> Has anyone managed to make a bootable USB key or internal drive with the
> gpxe environment and if so precisely how?

gPXE has not been maintained for several years.  Please upgrade to iPXE, which
is the replacement for gPXE.

You won't be able to open the .usb image, since it doesn't contain a
filesystem.  It's a raw disk image; you need to transfer it to the USB key
using dd (or equivalent).  Be aware that this will erase all existing content
of the USB key.