[ipxe-devel] Win7 x64 iSCSI install - insanely slow shutdown time

Steve Cross hairlesshobo at stevecross.org
Thu Jun 6 00:06:31 UTC 2013

OK so I think I finally figured out what's going on, and it has
NOTHING to do with iPXE or iSCSI. I purchased and setup an identical
Intel NUC (literally copy-pasted the disc image and booted it up) and
it does not suffer from the problem. There is only one thing different
between the two machines - the remote control receiver unit. The
newest NUC uses a standard MCE IR receiver and when shutdown remotely,
shuts down in less than 15 seconds. The first NUC uses a SnapStream
Firefly RF remote and when shutdown remotely takes 5-8 minutes. The
really weird part, if you shut it down locally, it shuts down in less
than 15 seconds. I know that's the problem, because I unplugged the
receiver and did a remote shutdown, and it took 11 seconds. So now at
this point I am either going to replace the RF receiver with a
different one (which I was already considering doing it anyways) or
use pstools to initiate the command "locally." More than likely, I am
just gonna toss that old RF remote.

Steve Cross
hairlesshobo at stevecross.org