[ipxe-devel] Win7 x64 iSCSI install - insanely slow shutdown time

Steve Cross hairlesshobo at stevecross.org
Tue Jun 4 18:50:17 UTC 2013

Thanks for the good suggestions, definitely some good ideas. I did try
increasing the write back cache from 128 to 512 (I can't spare any
more than that on this server), but it did not help any. I disabled
windows search service to see if it was trying to index and there was
no change. I also disabled the pagefile and it didn't seem to make a
difference. I am still seeing 5-8 minute shut down time vs. 60 second
startup time.

I have also been doing some performance monitoring and there is
basically 0 device activity after the first minute or so of shutdown,
so it leads me to believe that something on the system itself is
causing the shutdown process to hang.

Since this is the kid's HTPC, I don't get too much time to play around
with it but I have a second NUC (identical model) that'll be here
today and it's going to have the iSCSI setup. I am going to see if
there are any bios settings that might make a difference, and try to
do some more debugging.

Steve Cross
hairlesshobo at stevecross.org