[ipxe-devel] Evolution proposal : zlib integration
rene at margar.fr
Fri Jan 25 08:50:56 GMT 2013
These are the sizes in bytes I can see on my dev platform using gcc
File size without zlib :
- rtl8139.rom : 66560
- ipxe.lkrn : 364549
- undionly.kpxe : 64429
- ipxe.iso : 753664
File size with zlib (1.2.7) :
- rtl8139.rom : 74240 (+7680)
- ipxe.lkrn : 372671 (+8122)
- undionly.kpxe : 72456 (+8027)
- ipxe.iso : 759808 (+6144)
Patch file is included to this post if someone wants to take a look.
Remarks / Todo :
- zlib compilation is not optional. May be usefull to disable it at
compile time if not needed
- only usefull files of zlib are included
- crc32.c file from zlib has been renamed zlib-crc32.c (also exported
symbols have been prefixed with zlib-) to prevent a conflict with an
existing crc32.c file in ipxe
- uncompression is done on the flight while loading file. It's hard to
know what will be the final module size. The allocated moemory for
module may be larger than needed (does it hurt ?)
- to implement --unzip option to image load command I had to modify the
image load function prototypes to add a flag parameter (imgdownload,
imgdownload_string, imgacquire). This may be too intrusive.
Le 2013-01-24 17:12, Michael Brown a écrit :
> On 23/01/13 09:33, René Garcia wrote:
>> Are you interested with my contribution ? The main drawback is the
>> size increase of iPXE. This may be critical for embeded ROM iPXE.
> It would be a useful feature to have. What is the increase in size?
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 100704 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the ipxe-devel