[ipxe-devel] building for use virtualbox

Warren Turkal wt at ooyala.com
Wed Jan 23 21:16:33 UTC 2013

iPXE devs,

I have successfully built ipxe and used it in virtualbox much like the
instructions here <http://etherboot.org/wiki/romburning/vbox>. However,
when I do the "make bin/8086100e.rom", the rom image does not appear to
contain the HTTP support code as I cannot use http urls in the ipxe shell
after boot and hitting ctrl-b. Commands like with "imgfetch
http://192.0.0.1/blah.img" fail with the following error:

Could not start download: Operation not supported (http://ipxe.org/3c092003)

The HTTP code does appear to be built by default since I see "#define
DOWNLOAD_PROTO_HTTP" in the general.h. I also see the following:

$ grep -i http bin/8086100e.rom
Binary file bin/8086100e.rom matches

However, I do see "TFTP" and do not see "HTTP" in the "Features:" line of
iPXE that shows before the prompt.

I am using the tip of master for this test. The commit id is
"3fcb8cf8dceb45f8b01e1d69d43cfd99df43b78a".

Is there anything else that I should be doing to enable HTTP support in the
iPXE rom that I am building.

Thanks,
wt
--