[ipxe-devel] FATAL: int13_eltorito: call with AX=4d00. Please report

Steve Cross hairlesshobo at stevecross.org
Thu Jan 3 14:09:57 UTC 2013

Robin, I WAS able to make it install (or at least I got about half way
through the install when I turned it off because I was installing from
network over WiFi (my stupid fault) and it was taking hours and I
finally said screw it and went to bed lol. I remember that I had to
use the 64 bit WinPE 3.0 from the AIK (I couldn't make the 32 bit
version load, it froze every time right before the WinPE wallpaper
would appear - I assume some weird quirk with VirtualBox because it
works fine on physical machines). If I remember correctly, I did a
sanboot to iscsi and then when that failed I had it continue on to
load the PE. I only had it set to sanboot for testing purposes, and
instead now I'd use sanhook and then load the PE.

I never had any luck with loading the Windows 7 disc (physically in
drive) after iPXE loaded in VirtualBox. I tried to exit out of iPXE
and let BIOS continue booting - failed with INT error message. I tried
with sanboot with any combination of drive number that I found online,
and it would always error out with some message or another.

I would definitely say, if you have a physical box that you can try it
on, it really does work much better. I fought for days trying to get
it to install to VirtualBox for the first time. It only took a couple
hours of tweaking the WinPE to get it to install to a physical box the
first time. I have since installed it to two other physical boxes for
testing purposes and it worked great.

Also, I did not have any of these problems with VMWare. I'm not a big
fan of VMWare myself, but for the iPXE testing it actually worked much
better than VirtualBox did. If you can't spare a physical box, I
encourage you to give it a shot in VMWare (assuming that you are just
trying this out for proof of concept before rolling out to physical
boxes).

-Steve