[ipxe-devel] FATAL: int13_eltorito: call with AX=4d00. Please report

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:03:54 UTC 2013

On 1/2/2013 21:08, Michael Brown wrote:
> On Thursday 03 Jan 2013 01:36:30 Shao Miller wrote:
>> Sorry, I wasn't paying close enough attention.  I actually don't fully
>> understand how int13_load_eltorito() can ever be expected to work
>> without iPXE already driving the optical disc drive using, for example,
>> an ATAPI driver. :)
>
> The code in int13_load_eltorito() is intended to allow iPXE to boot from one
> of its own SAN drives.  The fact that "sanboot --drive XX" can be (ab)used to
> boot from a local disk is just an unofficial side benefit.

Aha.  That explains it.

> One possible hackish workaround for this particular scenario would be to SAN-
> boot from an ISO which matches the local CD-ROM.  The SAN boot would provide
> access via INT 13, and the loaded OS would find the (identical) local CD-ROM
> after starting the kernel.

Or maybe a boot from a "full" (4.7 GiB or whatever a DVD holds) ipxe.iso
could work, followed by a physical optical disc swap?  Maybe not, as I
guess all the El Torito info might be cached from the former.  But reads
might at least work. :)

> Unless I'm missing something, it's probably a better idea to just use wimboot.

Off-topic, but speaking of wimboot, someone at the reboot.pro forums
reported iPXE -> PXELINUX 5.00 -> vesamenu.c32 -> linux.c32 -> wimboot
wasn't working, so I'd like to look into that.  It could be a false
alarm, though.

http://reboot.pro/topic/17947-bcd-error-wimboot-out-of-memory-cant-allocate-memory-for-socket-structure/

- Shao Miller