[ipxe-devel] [Realtek]: Possible bug - cannot load ipxe when intel-sata controller is set to RAID

Joshua C. joshuacov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 07:12:47 UTC 2013

2013/4/16 Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk>

> On Monday 15 Apr 2013 22:44:43 Joshua C. wrote:
> > Your patch fixed my problem. I tested this several times with files as
> big
> > as 25MB (f18 kernel and initrd) and those worked fine. The system booted
> > without any problems. Here is my configuration patch (I know it has
> > redundancies but currently I don't have much time to fix it, and it still
> > works!).
>
> Glad the patch works for you.  Unfortunately it can't be applied as a
> general
> solution.  If PMM allocation fails (which is not uncommon), then iPXE has
> no
> way to shrink itself, so we have to be pessimistic in reporting our runtime
> size.

Is there a way to test at runtime if PMM works? If so maybe this can help?

> > I cannot see the pci bios version?!? Maybe this is because it have
> > a custom ipxe string?
>
> Most likely because you have BANNER_TIMEOUT set to zero; the ROM banner
> probably disappears before you have a chance to see it.
>
> Michael

I'll test later today with a git-version and post the pci-version.

I've been wondering of the manufactorer can do something about this
128kb-orom-limit? I'll explain to them what caused the problem as well as
why they cannot reproduce it at their side. On the other hand I have an
efi-bios which should be capable of overcomming the limitations of the old
pc-bios. Any ideas if and how the manufacturer can help (if they're willing
to do so, of course)?

--
--joshua