[ipxe-devel] DHCP failing on Intel 82579V Gigabit [8086:1503] after PXE boot]

Richard Moore rich at richud.com
Mon Nov 12 11:16:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 11:28 +0100, Robin Smidsrød wrote:

> On 12.11.2012 09:47, Richard Moore wrote:
> > Attached are the two dumps requested from Robin.
> >
> > [The laptop is directly wired to my machine running dnsmasq so only
> > traffic between them both is there i.e. left it unfiltered]
>
> Perfect setup. Very easy to debug. :)
>
> > Version from Nov 2nd (of git clone git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git) with no
> > modifications to source.
> >
> > I did have a script embedded in the .lkrn to speedup testing which just
> > sets dhcp options 209/210 and pulls pxelinux.0 down.
>
> I notice the .lkrn pulls down pxelinux.0 on the first DHCP request,
> which is consistent with a chainloading setup. How do you load it? From
> USB or CD using Grub or ISOLINUX? You are aware of ipxe.usb and ipxe.iso
> that are specifically designed for that purpose? Just want to make sure
> I understand your setup correctly.

yes it is chainloaded from extlinux(syslinux), from my bootable utils
USB stick that does lots of other things too :)

> One question: Any particular reason you're using undionly.kkpxe instead
> of undionly.kpxe? The .kkpxe version is usually only used in cases where
> people have buggy BIOSes.

Sorry just happened to have been testing with kkpxe and forgot to change
it to kpxe,
but makes no difference in this case. It is now back to kpxe.

> It does seem like you're having problems receiving packets when using
> undionly.kkpxe. Adding DEBUG=undinet to the make command-line might
> reveal some further information about what's happening to those packets.
> You might have to enable serial debugging to get them, or use a camera
> to take a picture of the screen.

sorry I need a new phone, but I think it is legible enough :)