[ipxe-devel] DHCP failing on Intel 82579V Gigabit [8086:1503] after PXE boot]

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Mon Nov 12 10:28:03 UTC 2012

On 12.11.2012 09:47, Richard Moore wrote:
> Attached are the two dumps requested from Robin.
>
> [The laptop is directly wired to my machine running dnsmasq so only
> traffic between them both is there i.e. left it unfiltered]

Perfect setup. Very easy to debug. :)

> Version from Nov 2nd (of git clone git://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git) with no
> modifications to source.
>
> I did have a script embedded in the .lkrn to speedup testing which just
> sets dhcp options 209/210 and pulls pxelinux.0 down.

I notice the .lkrn pulls down pxelinux.0 on the first DHCP request,
which is consistent with a chainloading setup. How do you load it? From
USB or CD using Grub or ISOLINUX? You are aware of ipxe.usb and ipxe.iso
that are specifically designed for that purpose? Just want to make sure
I understand your setup correctly.

One question: Any particular reason you're using undionly.kkpxe instead
of undionly.kpxe? The .kkpxe version is usually only used in cases where
people have buggy BIOSes.

It does seem like you're having problems receiving packets when using
undionly.kkpxe. Adding DEBUG=undinet to the make command-line might
reveal some further information about what's happening to those packets.
You might have to enable serial debugging to get them, or use a camera
to take a picture of the screen.

Hopefully with this information someone else can chime in with some
suggestions on what might be wrong...

-- Robin