[ipxe-devel] IPXE script resets system

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 21:15:15 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 25 Jul 2012 20:35:10 Dwayne McGarty wrote:
> I was attempting to use an ipxe script to set up a valn (2500 on net0 and
> initiate a dhcp on the interface (net0-2500).  Following is the script:
>
> #!ipxe
>
> vcreate --tag 2500 net0
> dhcp net0-2500
>
> chain http://192.168.1.1/mboot.c32 -c http://192.168.1.1/boot.cfg
>
> The system behaves as though the reset button is pushed a split second
> after the script should begin executing.  If I type the Ctrl-B sequence on
> the boot however, I can get the IPXE prompt and type in the commands
> manually and everything works.  Is this a known bug?

Does iPXE detect your script as a script?

Try downloading your script using

  kernel http://x.x.x.x/path/to/your/script.ipxe

and check that "imgstat" shows the type of the image as "Script" rather than
"PXE".

If there's a problem with the "#!ipxe" magic at the start of the script (for
example, if you created the script using an editor that saves in UTF-16) then
iPXE will not detect the image as a script, and will treat it as a PXE NBP
containing executable x86 code.  This would almost certainly crash the machine
immediately, which is what you are seeing.