[ipxe-devel] SAN iso boot to install Win8 to SAN question..

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 04:16:46 UTC 2012

Hello Jarrod,

While I can't speak to your iPXE question, I'd suggest you try hooking
the HDD LUN as 0x80, and the ODD LUN as a traditional ODD bios drive
number (0xE0 I think?  Not sure off the top of my head :P), and try
booting that.

You might also have some luck by doing a SAN attach of the HDD and
then booting the ISO as an initrd to MEMDISK. A plain old WinPE iso
that is, then grab your windows install files via SMB or something
similar.

Windows installer really, really hates when ARC paths are screwed with
via INT13 hooks, and often only the first device hooked in that
fashion, or your ISO in the "successful" boot scenario you've had,
will have a fully resolved path.

If only Windows had a "trust me a swear this thing will boot" setting ;)

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky