[ipxe-devel] SAN iso boot to install Win8 to SAN question..

Jarrod Johnson jarrod.b.johnson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 02:30:23 UTC 2012

So normally I'd do a typical PXE boot of WinPE to install to a new san, but
in this case I have a little complexity that prevents that at the moment.

So I used tgtd to give me two luns, a blank drive as lun 1 and a windows
install ISO as lun 2.

I tried hooking it as 0x80 for the hard drive and 0x81 for the optical
drive.  sanboot --drive 0x81 goes blank and reboots shortly.

Then I swapped and hooked 0x80 as the optical and 0x81 as the hard drive.
Installer started, Windows presented the blank disk I had provided, but
Windows then refuses to install to the disk saying 'ensure that the disk's
controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu'.  I assume it's somehow
unhappy with the state of what it determined through EDD, but Windows is
fairly unhelpful in this regard.

So two questions, has anyone tried windows install to 0x81 iscsi drive by
ipxe?  Alternatively, why wasn't I able to boot the iso if I hooked it to
0x81 instead of 0x80?