[ipxe-devel] Load via EFI on Macs

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:34:50 UTC 2012

Am Freitag, 17. Februar 2012, 12:54:46 schrieb Michael Brown:
> I wonder if the problem is that you already have an EFI driver attached to
> the PCI device, so EFI never offers it to iPXE for consideration.
This is plausible. The Mac has netboot support, and that's how I get the
iPXE.efi onto it in the first place. I originally assumed that the network
connection is gone after the firmware launches the efi application because
neither elilo nor grub could use it. Yesterday I found out that it is still
there, but somewhat crippled.

> Could you try the "devices", "devtree" and "drivers" commands from the EFI
> shell (not the iPXE shell)?
I have to research how to do that on OSX. I read somewhere that the shell is
there, but you need some third party app like refit to access it.

I managed to achive my goal(netboot with EFI and separation of bootloader
binary, kernel, initrd and bootloader configuration) with a little grub hack.
I wrote a mail to help-grub, but apparently it didn't get through. I'm still
available to help get iPXE working on that machine though :-)