[ipxe-devel] Problem chainloading iPXE from inside iPXE

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Tue Jun 7 14:06:42 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-07 00:03, Mike Sollanych wrote:
> Further to this, it seems like Syslinux's 'keeppxe' option is what I'm
> after, but when I put that as part of the ipxe.lkrn command in my
> Syslinux menu, iPXE picks it up and tries to run it as a script command.
> I don't know if this option only works on 'memdisk', but certainly it
> doesn't change anything for me.

The core difference is that your first instance of iPXE is most likely
using UNDI drivers (your vendor PXE implementation), but ipxe.lkrn uses
native iPXE drivers. I'm guessing those machines having problems do not
have natively supported iPXE drivers.

> I guess my next step is to bake the script to chain to the FOG server's
> dynamically generated iPXE script into a copy of iPXE and make it into a
> bootable ISO and run it with memdisk, unless someone has a better
> idea.... :-S

hpa (author of syslinux project) told me that syslinux 4.00+ has a
config COM32 module that should allow you to chain off to another TFTP
server (in this case your FOG instance) by modifying the TFTP path
prefix and still continue to use UNDI (and avoiding ipxe.lkrn).

I have been planning to test out this setup for a while, but time has
not been available. Please do report back if modifying the TFTP path
prefix works for you.

-- Robin