[ipxe-devel] iPXE with Virtualbox

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 11:25:39 UTC 2011

On Thursday 27 Jan 2011 16:43:13 Jedrzej Kalinowski wrote:
>  I've tried to set iPXE image as a custom LanBootRom for Virtualbox some
>  time ago.
>  I was following the article from Etherboot's wiki, and setting the
>  appropriate property in VB configuration.
>  Unfortunately it did not work for me - my iPXE rom was not called, it
>  seems it was too big.
>  More details on that in my unanswered post on virtualbox forum
>  (http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36420)

You might be able to try using a later version of gcc; gcc tends to get
significantly better at size optimisation with each new major version.

Alternatively, you can disable a couple of features that you don't need in
config/general.h.  For example, very few people need multiboot support, and
forcing "#undef IMAGE_MULTIBOOT" in config/general.h will shrink your image by
around 1.5kB before compression.