[ipxe-devel] iPXE with Virtualbox

Jedrzej Kalinowski kalinoj1 at iem.pw.edu.pl
Thu Jan 27 16:43:13 UTC 2011

 On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 23:39:32 +0000, Michael Brown wrote:

> Have pushed a series of changes that should (hopefully) fix this.  We
> now use
> 16-bit protected mode for access to high memory during decompression.
>
> Tested in bochs, qemu and kvm, but would appreciate reports for other
> hypervisors (especially VirtualBox).
>
> (As a nice side-benefit, iPXE now starts instantaneously in kvm,
> rather than
> taking a second or so as kvm hammers its way through hundred of
> thousands of
> vmexits.)

 Hi,

 I've tried to set iPXE image as a custom LanBootRom for Virtualbox some
 time ago.
 I was following the article from Etherboot's wiki, and setting the
 appropriate property in VB configuration.
 Unfortunately it did not work for me - my iPXE rom was not called, it
 seems it was too big.
 More details on that in my unanswered post on virtualbox forum
 (http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36420)

 My question is - did anyone try to run iPXE as a custom LAN rom for
 virtualbox 3.2 or 4.0?

 Best regards,
 Jędrzej Kalinowski

--