[ipxe-devel] Connection reset (0f0a6039)

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 11:14:59 UTC 2011

On Friday 28 Jan 2011 08:25:02 Lee Bradshaw wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a diskless Windows 7 workstation.
>
> I've set up FreeNas in a VM on a windows 2008 machine; I've set up the TFTP
> server & DHCP entries on the DHCP server (a Windows 2003 machine).
>
> I then created a volume in FreeNas, connected to it from a Windows 7
> machine, and cloned the system disk to it; then disconnected the iScsi
> drive.
>
> In order to test it, I created a second VM machine on the Windows 2008
> machine, with no operating system; the DHCP entries are set up to point
>  this to iPXE then the iSCSI drive I created on FreeNas.
>
> It loads undionly as expected, then tries to boot the iSCSI volume, but I
> get:
>
> Root path: iscsi:10.10.10.245::::iqn.2011-01.au.id.witsend:GrSyst
>
> Could not open SAN device: connection reset (http://ipxe.org/0f0a6039)

Kudos for already trying the latest version of iPXE; I can tell from the
output that you're using a version less than 12 hours old!  :)

> The FreeNas logs don't show anything happening at all.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I assume you've already seen the advice on http://ipxe.org/0f0a6039?  This
sounds like a firewall issue.  If you look at a packet capture you should see
that iPXE is sending a SYN and the target is responding immediately with a
RST.  That would explain why nothing shows up in the FreeNas logs; the
connection is rejected by the firewall before it reaches FreeNas.

Try disabling the firewall on the Windows 2008 VM hosting FreeNas.  If this
doesn't help, try capturing a packet trace (http://ipxe.org/howto/pcap) on
that VM; that might show what's happening.