[ipxe-devel] Input/Output error (1d0d6039)

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 10:18:36 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 23 Feb 2011 08:35:36 Lee Bradshaw wrote:
> Today I received a QNAP server and configured it for iSCSI.
>
> Unfortunately iPXE will not connect to the target. I get input/output error
> 1d0d6039.
>
> I've attached a trace.

Thanks.  Your trace shows that the target is returning status 0301 "The iSCSI
service or target is not currently operational", which falls within status
class 03 "Target Error - indicates that the target sees no errors in the
initiator's Login Request, but is currently incapable of fulfilling the
request".

I've added a small amount of code to disambiguate this error, which means that
you should see error http://ipxe.org/1d0d6139 with the latest build.  However,
I don't know for sure why the target is responding this way.

It's possible that the status 0301 is misleading, and is the way that the QNAP
reports errors such as "initiator not allowed" (which ought to be 0202) etc.

> I tried doing a git pull and recompiling to get the latest version of iPXE,
> but this one just hangs at the initial TFTP stage.

Do you mean the stage of downloading undionly.kpxe via TFTP, before iPXE
starts running?  What is the last thing that you see on screen?

Incidentally, there seems to be a major problem with your network; most of the
packets in the trace are duplicated, in some cases hundreds of times, with
decreasing IP TTL.  There are also some spurious ICMP Redirects from
10.10.10.2.  It looks as though the machine 10.10.10.2 (an HP machine with MAC
address 00:18:fe:fd:d5:d6) is somehow set up to forward traffic from the
10.10.10.0/24 subnet back to the same subnet, creating an infinite forwarding
loop for each packet that persists until the IP TTL expires.  You should
probably fix this problem first.