[ipxe-devel] ipxe hanging after Loading ipxe.krn....ready...

Michael jeriryan87 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 15:43:38 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I'm really happy I found the ipxe project, it suits my needs exactly!  I'm
having a bit of a problem though.  The machine I'm trying to boot an image I
built from source gets stuck on "Loading ipxe.krn....done".  It will display
up to that point and then just hang forever.  I did some research and the
only thing I came up with was a guy that had this problem when using
VirtualBox.  Just in case, I checked my BIOS and vt-x is disabled.

I did nothing except extract the latest snapshot of the src, go to the src
directory, type make, and burn the ipxe.iso in the bin folder.  The prebuilt
default iso image on the site boots up just fine on the server in question,
and the image I made boots on 10 other servers.  It just appears that me
making an image from source will not work on solely my target machine.  It's
very frustrating.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The reason I want to
build an image from source instead of using the prebuilt is that I need to
implement VLAN tagging in my pxe, and I assume that at some point I will
have to figure out how to build an image that has all my necessary tagging
parameters.

Thanks,

Mike