[ipxe-devel] Curious routing problem with iPXE

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 01:46:36 UTC 2011

Hello Lee, Michael,

The issue you're seeing here is, most unfortunately, expected
behavior.  You can read up on it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960104

As I recall it, this behavior is seen in pretty much every NT 5.1 OS,
including WinPE 3.0, Windows 7, and 2008 R2.  Microsoft basically made
the executive decision that placing your network traffic and iSCSI
traffic on the same NIC is insane, and decided that the only reason
you'd have a gateway on your iSCSI NIC would be if that gateway were
actually required to route traffic to and from your SAN.  I wish I
knew why they thought this was a good idea, because all it seems to
really accomplish in my experience with it is to stifle iSCSI booting
in low-cost setups.  Take that with however many grains of salt you
desire :P

The only workaround I'm aware of is to establish a default gateway
sometime *after* the iSCSI connection is in place and the client's
routing table is initially populated.  If you boot with no default
gateway, you can then add one once the OS is online, and the
trickle-down from the iBFT won't occur.

Curious though, Lee, for your solution, what exactly did you do and
what are the results?  I've never configured option 249, so I'm
puzzled :)

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky