[ipxe-devel] ISO SAN booting

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Thu Apr 28 23:45:57 UTC 2011

On 4/28/2011 4:30 PM, Michael Brown wrote:
> On Thursday 28 Apr 2011 06:23:07 Andrew Stuart wrote:
>> Windows Boot Manager
>> Windows failed to start. ...
>> File: \Boot\BCD
>> Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration
>> data.
>>
>> I tried multiple images, including the image from here:
>> http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm
>
> I get the same error with the image from www.ntfs.com, and I can reproduce it
> also with the Vista installation DVD-ROM.  Later Windows versions (Win2k8 and
> Win7) seem to work fine - I get at least as far as running the WinPE
> environment.
>
> I don't know what is causing the problem with Vista and the www.ntfs.com
> image.  Dumping out the INT13 calls doesn't show any obvious issues.
>
>> and lastly chose to try a known working with memdisk iso file, mfsbsd:
>> http://mfsbsd.vx.sk/iso/mfsbsd-8.2-i386.iso
>
> This one works for me (and I think for you too, with the latest code).
>
> Michael

-meh, why is thunderbirds reply-list not showing up for this list, email
was sent to Michael only. -

Correct, mfsbsd works after inadvertently pulling another update. I've
tested a bunch of other BSD images and they are working as well.

Freedos's also work after that patch, although they don't seem to see
the cd after the os boots, thus the live portion doesn't work... But I
am not sure it's supposed to?

BTW, the ntfs.com image is a WinPE 3.0 image, thus Win7.. which is odd.
So far my WinPE 3 images don't appear to work, but I have yet to use the
original opk iso to test against, or I was going to even try a win7
iso.

In any case, good work. When I saw this email coming through I was
looking at memdisk/Shao's memdisk driver and wondering if I wanted to go
through the hassle... Now I have at least one more option to pursue.

-A

(P.S. I just ran git pull and see the freedos issue may be resolved..)