[ipxe-devel] Incorrect next-server (QIP + Microsoft RIS/WDS)

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 12:24:53 UTC 2010

On Monday 19 Jul 2010 21:45:40 Tim Wright wrote:
> Interestingly I just found this. Will run it past our IP Services team, but
>  this may provide the workaround I'm looking for (without firmware changes)
>  if gPXE will use the proxydhcp/next-server if next-server equals
>  0.0.0.0....
>
> Quote:
> The upstream ISC DHCP 3.0.2+ removed the defaulting of
> next-server to the DHCP server's address, to be in compliance with the RFCs

Yes, that would fix your problem, if you can have QIP upgraded such that the
underlying ISC dhcpd is 3.0.2 or later.

Another possible approach would be to use the "priority" option, which allows
you to specify the relative priority of DHCP option blocks.  To use this, add
something like:

  option space ipxe;
  option ipxe-encap-opts code 175 = encapsulate ipxe;
  option ipxe.priority code 1 = signed integer 8;

  option ipxe.priority -1;

to QIP's dhcpd.conf.  That should cause the QIP options to be treated as
having priority -1, which would be lower than the WDS/RIS options (which would
default to priority 0).