[ipxe-devel] IPXE Rom Problems

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:02:47 UTC 2018

On 13 May 2018 at 18:06, Carlos Alberto Rocha Borges
<navegador_de_aquario at msn.com> wrote:
> Hi, my name is Carlos Alberto, sorry my bad english, i has work to previous
> GPXE rom, but the online page to build is end, i have searched for other
> same solution and i found this webpage IPXE.org
>
> But here started my problems.
>
> RTL PCI 32 card boot very slow
> I have order 2 NIC Broadcom tigon BCM5704CK, but same freeze my PC or don’t
> recognize  (no net0,1 detected)
> I have order 2 NIC D-LINK DGE-528T, the problem is same realtek cards PCI
> 32, the boot is very slow
> I have tested on RTL onboard gigabit of others mainboards, some boots
> quickly others display same problem RTL PCI 32
> The last, i have order NIC Adapter TP-Link PCI-Express chipset Realtek, the
> boot are very fast.
>

> My question is, what NICs Models and manufacture is recomended to use rom
> iPXE or what hotfix to use any NIC Cards based na previous GPXE?
>

> Again, sorry my bad english i from brazil.
>
> Thanks.

As I understood if from IRC you where not using a ROM at all, but
rather created the ISO and then copied that to a USB device just so
this does not confuse anyone.
The best is to use the ipxe.usb build target instead and use dd to
copy that image to a USB flash drive.

Most NIC works just fine, there is a list of supported devices at
http://ipxe.org/appnote/hardware_drivers
However not every part of iPXE have been tested with all devices.
Another issue is that for example Realtek chipsets have multiple
revisions, even if they are supposed to work the same they do not.

Intel gigabit nics are usually a safe bet otherwise.

/Christian