[ipxe-devel] link down

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 07:51:40 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
<Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com> wrote:
>> Could you grab the output of lspci -nn so we get the PCIID
>
> lspci -nn -s 00:1f.6
> 00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (4) I219-V [8086:15d8] (rev 21)
>

>> Also try to run ifstat inside iPXE to see which driver it has loaded
>
> ifstat says:
> net0: x:x:x:x:x:x using I219v-4  ..
> Link: down, TX:0 TXE:1 RX:0 RXE:0
> TXE: 1 x Operation not supported http://ipxe.org/3c654003

For reference that is this line in intel.c:
PCI_ROM ( 0x8086, 0x15d8, "i219v-4", "I219-V (4)", INTEL_NO_PHY_RST ),

>> No config change needed, the reason to check the link leds is to see
>> if the hardware is up, and it's just iPXE to fails. (and of course
>
> The link LEDS are ON
> if I pull and then insert the cable while in ipxe shell then the link LEDs
> are ON again. Indicates to me that the link is working but ipxe.lkrn does not
> se it.
>
>> that the cable is connected but we understand it already is)
>> One other thing is that switch ports with STP enabled some times can
>> take to long to be properly up (but in those cases it is more common
>> to get DHCP timeouts)
>>

>> To build for efi you are using make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi
>> To build for pcbios use make bin/ipxe.pxe
>> These are just examples tho.
>
> Yes, I gout them all built and ipxe.efi actually works
>
> Jocke

So which build was it that didn't work? (or did you do something else
differently, like booting OS and rebooting instead of starting from
cold power on)

Also worth checking in cases like this: what is the link speed that
the switch sees, and is the switch gigabit capable?