[ipxe-devel] link down

Joakim Tjernlund Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com
Fri Jan 26 07:42:52 UTC 2018

On Thu, 1970-01-01 at 00:00 +0000, Christian Nilsson wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:17 AM, Joakim Tjernlund
> <Joakim.Tjernlund at infinera.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you try following the other instructions on that page?  In particular:
> > >
> > >    "if you see a message such as
> > >
> > >    Waiting for link-up on net0... failed: Down (http://ipxe.org/38086101)
> > >
> > >    then you should check that the cable is plugged in, and that any link
> > >    lights are on."
> >
> > Yes, I know the connection works. I can EFI ipxe boot the same machine(can ipxe do Legacy PXE boot as well?)
> > I did forget to check the link lights though.
> > I am using tip of master, own build, should I change some config perhaps?
> >
> >    Jocke
>
> Hej Jocke,
>
> Could you grab the output of lspci -nn so we get the PCIID

lspci -nn -s 00:1f.6
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (4) I219-V [8086:15d8] (rev 21)

> Also try to run ifstat inside iPXE to see which driver it has loaded

ifstat says:
net0: x:x:x:x:x:x using I219v-4  ..
Link: down, TX:0 TXE:1 RX:0 RXE:0
TXE: 1 x Operation not supported http://ipxe.org/3c654003

> No config change needed, the reason to check the link leds is to see
> if the hardware is up, and it's just iPXE to fails. (and of course

The link LEDS are ON
if I pull and then insert the cable while in ipxe shell then the link LEDs
are ON again. Indicates to me that the link is working but ipxe.lkrn does not
se it.

> that the cable is connected but we understand it already is)
> One other thing is that switch ports with STP enabled some times can
> take to long to be properly up (but in those cases it is more common
> to get DHCP timeouts)
>

> To build for efi you are using make bin-x86_64-efi/ipxe.efi
> To build for pcbios use make bin/ipxe.pxe
> These are just examples tho.

Yes, I gout them all built and ipxe.efi actually works

Jocke