[ipxe-devel] Wimboot: Lang selection through parameters?

Andreas Hammarskjöld junior at 2PintSoftware.com
Fri Sep 29 13:13:02 UTC 2017

Ok, so I assume you also want different language in WinPE as well, i.e. Swedish prompt etc? Not just different loader language? If so, the issues is bigger as you need to customize the .wim quite a bit to get you local language in. This is done by running several dism.exe commands against the .wim itsels, and then setting the new language. Typically WinPE only likes having one active language at the time, there is no way to "switch" while running as in the full OS.

So this could be solved with using several indexes, but that will bloat the .wim and make transfer time long. So in this case we have created a .wim per language instead and used menu/server side logic to select the right image.  In some parts of Switzerland you will have languages in the same office, with different keyboard locale. Makes sense? If not, I can describe in even greater detail.

-----Original Message-----
From: ipxe-devel-bounces at lists.ipxe.org [mailto:ipxe-devel-bounces at lists.ipxe.org] On Behalf Of Melkor Lord
Sent: den 28 september 2017 01:59
To: Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org>; Christian Nilsson <nikize at gmail.com>
Cc: iPXE <ipxe-devel at lists.ipxe.org>
Subject: Re: [ipxe-devel] Wimboot: Lang selection through parameters?

On 27/09/2017 15:06, Michael Brown wrote:

>> If it does not use different indexes then I guess it is an option
>> that you give via BCD, so having one BCD file for each language is
>> probably the fix you would want in that case.
>
> You can also inject arbitrary files into \windows\system32:
>
>    http://git.ipxe.org/wimboot.git/commit/7f42b27
>
> If nothing else works (and if you really need to be able to configure
> a language before setup.exe starts), then running an arbitrary batch
> file injected via winpeshl.ini should allow you to reconfigure
> anything that you need.

I know about injecting files into \windows\system32 and about winpeshl.ini (that's what I use to launch the setup) but what I don't know is the command to use to dynamically change the display language of the booted "boot.wim" OS. Or maybe I misunderstood your message?

--
Unix _IS_ user friendly, it's just selective about who its friends are.