[ipxe-devel] WinPE behaves differently when started by wimboot

Andres, Roman Roman.Andres at netree.ch
Tue Mar 22 16:25:03 UTC 2016

Hi!

I have a question regarding wimboot. I don't know if it is a wimboot issue or not and couldn't find anyone with a similar issue. I noticed that WinPE behaves differently (hardware/driver detection) when it was started by wimboot than when I boot it from a Windows Deployment Server or from a local volume.

*         Network Adapter detection

o   Hardware: Surface Pro 4 with the Surface Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (same adapter as the Surface Pro 3 uses)

o   WinPE is booted with iPXE/wimboot: Network Adapter is not detected. When unplugging it and plugging it back in, WinPE will detect the Network Adapter and it gets an IP configuration from the DHCP server.

o   Same WinPE is booted from WDS Server or from a local volume: Network Adapter is immediately detected and gets an IP configuration from the DHCP server.

o   Note: This does not happen on the Surface Pro 3 with the same Network Adapter. The adapter gets detected even when booted with iPXE/wimboot.

*         Screen Resolution (not really an issue, just thought I'd mention it)

o   Hardware: Surface Pro 3

o   WinPE is booted with iPXE/wimboot: Screen resolution is low (1024x768 I think).

o   Same WinPE is booted from a local volume: Screen resolution is as high as it should be.

I used the latest wimboot release 2.5.2. I also edited the BCD to look the same as the BCD when I boot the WinPE from a local volume and used the rawbcd parameter for wimboot to make sure it won't modify it. The behavior stays the same.

Kind regards,
Roman Andres