[ipxe-devel] WinPE behaves differently when started by wimboot

Christian Nilsson nikize at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:54:09 UTC 2016

Hi Andres,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Andres, Roman <Roman.Andres at netree.ch> wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I have a question regarding wimboot. I don’t know if it is a wimboot issue
> or not and couldn’t find anyone with a similar issue. I noticed that WinPE
> behaves differently (hardware/driver detection) when it was started by
> wimboot than when I boot it from a Windows Deployment Server or from a local
> volume.
>

> ·         Network Adapter detection
>
> o   Hardware: Surface Pro 4 with the Surface Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (same
> adapter as the Surface Pro 3 uses)
>
> o   WinPE is booted with iPXE/wimboot: Network Adapter is not detected. When
> unplugging it and plugging it back in, WinPE will detect the Network Adapter
> and it gets an IP configuration from the DHCP server.
>
> o   Same WinPE is booted from WDS Server or from a local volume: Network
> Adapter is immediately detected and gets an IP configuration from the DHCP
> server.
>
> o   Note: This does not happen on the Surface Pro 3 with the same Network
> Adapter. The adapter gets detected even when booted with iPXE/wimboot.

There is a few possible reasons, boot.wim differences or selected
index is the first one, BCD is another, there is also boot.sdi but
unlikely, and then there is cached dhcp packets or similar that's
might be push thru with WDS but not with local boot. is wimboot always
booted in EFI or Legacy mode, and is the other boot variants stared in
the same mode?

After a wpeinit everything should work, maybe it's just a timing issue?

> ·         Screen Resolution (not really an issue, just thought I’d mention
> it)
>
> o   Hardware: Surface Pro 3
>
> o   WinPE is booted with iPXE/wimboot: Screen resolution is low (1024x768 I
> think).
>
> o   Same WinPE is booted from a local volume: Screen resolution is as high
> as it should be.

Have you added The gui parameter to wimboot (also see above about efi/legacy)

/Christian