[ipxe-devel] [ipxe] Expose board-serial and board-product through SMBios (#21)

Kristian Van Der Vliet kvandervliet at dyn.com
Thu Jun 12 12:51:55 UTC 2014

I shall throw my hat into the ring and say that not only do I find this
useful, I even independently developed my own patch that does the exact
same thing.

The problem is that system-serial is there, but deceptive: on a blade
system it is not unique. It seems sensible to provide easy access to a
serial that is unique (board serial) on an equal footing with
system-serial, and to document the clear difference between the two.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org> wrote:

> On 11/06/14 21:30, Dale Hamel wrote:
>
>> @mcb30 <https://github.com/mcb30> thoughts on exposing board level
>>
>> serial / product since we already do for chassis, and board info is more
>> useful on blade nodes?
>>

> All of the SMBIOS information is already exposed via constructed settings,
> e.g.
>
>   ${smbios/2.7.0}    # this is your "board-serial"
>   ${smbios/2.5.0}    # this is your "board-product"
>
> Since all of the information can already be accessed, the question becomes
> whether or not these settings will be sufficiently widely used (compared to
> all of the other information available via SMBIOS) to justify giving them
> names.
>
> There is a non-zero cost of naming a setting; each named setting costs
> approximately 20+<name_len>+<description_len> bytes: for example,
> "board-serial" will cost 20+13+18=51 bytes.
>
> So, to merge this patch, I need to know that it will be sufficiently
> useful to a sufficiently large number of people to justify the code size
> cost.
>
> Michael

[image: Dyn logo, Dyn.com] <http://dyn.com/>
<http://twitter.com/dyn>    <http://twitter.com/dyninc>[image: Dyn facebook
account] <http://facebook.com/dyn>    <http://twitter.com/dyninc>[image:
Dyn LinkedIn account] <http://linkedin.com/company/dyn>

Kristian Van Der Vliet  / System Engineer, DevTools
 +44 7983 258 707