[ipxe-devel] [ipxe] Expose board-serial and board-product through SMBios (#21)

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Jun 12 12:47:35 UTC 2014

On 11/06/14 21:30, Dale Hamel wrote:
> @mcb30 <https://github.com/mcb30> thoughts on exposing board level
> serial / product since we already do for chassis, and board info is more
> useful on blade nodes?

All of the SMBIOS information is already exposed via constructed
settings, e.g.

   ${smbios/2.7.0}    # this is your "board-serial"
   ${smbios/2.5.0}    # this is your "board-product"

Since all of the information can already be accessed, the question
becomes whether or not these settings will be sufficiently widely used
(compared to all of the other information available via SMBIOS) to
justify giving them names.

There is a non-zero cost of naming a setting; each named setting costs
approximately 20+<name_len>+<description_len> bytes: for example,
"board-serial" will cost 20+13+18=51 bytes.

So, to merge this patch, I need to know that it will be sufficiently
useful to a sufficiently large number of people to justify the code size
cost.