[ipxe-devel] cpio on the fly generation breaks for large images

Hummel Frank F.Hummel at ads-tec.de
Fri Oct 18 13:48:51 UTC 2013

I cannot confirm that loading WIM files via Syslinux-->Wimboot works for larger WIMs than loading them via iPXE-->Wimboot.
Both methods result in the same behavior as far as I can test on my systems.

Intel 2,26GHz P9300 Penryn CPU with LOM Intel 82567LM Boazman or RTL8111C. CPIO and iPXE methods result in 0xC0000017 Stop message. Screenshot "Intel_82567_(CPIO)(iPXE)_Wimboot.JPG". Limit for WIM size is ~320MB.
System uses AMI Bios Core Version 4.6.0.3.

Intel 1,6GHz N2600 Atom Cedarview CPU with LOM Intel I210 or RTL8111D. CPIO and iPXE methods result in 0xC000000D Stop message. Screenshot " Intel_I210_(CPIO)(iPXE)_Wimboot.JPG". Limit for WIM size is ~230MB!!!
System uses AMI Bios Core Version 4.6.5.3.

Asus Mainboard P7P55D-E 3GHz Core i3 540 with LOM Realtek RTL8111D CPIO or iPXE method works like a charm without any Stop message. Screenshot "Asus_RTL8111D_(CPIO)(iPXE)_Wimboot.JPG"
System uses AMI Bios Core Version 2.6.1.

HomeBrew baseboard with Realtek RTL8101E Intel Core2 Duo U2500 1,2GHz CPIO or iPXE method works like a charm without any Stop message.
System uses AMI Bios Core Version 4.6.3.

VirtualBox with Intel Pro1000MT CPIO or iPXE method works like a charm without any Stop message. Screenshot "IntelPro1000MT_VirtualBox_(CPIO)(iPXE)_Wimboot.jpg" Up to now no known limits for WIM size. iPXE Wimboot tested up to 481MB with a PE3x64.

All tests were run with the very same boot.wim. The CPIO file was created using this same boot.wim.
All tests were run using the same Server, same switch and even the same network cable.
Always chainloaded via Pxelinux -->iPXE -->...
This boot.wim runs on all tested platforms if the ISO is loaded via ipxe --> memdisk or if the boot.wim is directly loaded via chainloading Pxelinux --> wdsnbp.

Could this be a Bios problem?

mit freundlichen Grüßen
with kind regards

i. A. Dipl.Ing. (FH) Frank Hummel