[ipxe-devel] cpio on the fly generation breaks for large images

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Oct 16 14:51:43 UTC 2013

On 16/10/13 05:19, Steven Dick wrote:
> It was suggested on the ipxe forum that I try to load the same cpio
> image using ipxe directly to see if the on the fly cpio image generation
> was broken, but it seems that it breaks there too.
>
> I suspect that there is something wrong with ipxe's memory management
> that syslinux gets right for images larger than 320M.  The result is
> that an image that wimboot+syslinux loads fine gets corrupted (and gives
> the windows white error screen) when loaded with ipxe.

That's interesting; once iPXE or syslinux hands over to wimboot, it
should only be wimboot's memory management that matters.

Could you try both iPXE and syslinux with the attached patched version
of wimboot?  This version should stop immediately before jumping to
bootmgr.exe, allowing you to take a screenshot showing all relevant
addresses used.

Thanks,