[ipxe-devel] Patch tracking

Robin Smidsrød robin at smidsrod.no
Wed Mar 6 07:22:19 UTC 2013

On 06.03.2013 02:07, Michael Brown wrote:

> Fetching the github pull-request branches works fine, but there seems to be no
> way to delete them:
>
>   [mcb30 at dolphin src (master)]$ git fetch github -p
>   From github.com:ipxe/ipxe
>    * [new branch]      refs/pull/1/head -> github/pr/1
>    * [new branch]      refs/pull/2/head -> github/pr/2
>    * [new branch]      refs/pull/3/head -> github/pr/3
>    * [new branch]      refs/pull/4/head -> github/pr/4
>    * [new branch]      refs/pull/5/head -> github/pr/5
>    * [new branch]      refs/pull/6/head -> github/pr/6
>    * [new branch]      refs/pull/7/head -> github/pr/7
>    * [new branch]      master     -> github/master
>   [mcb30 at dolphin src (master)]$ git push github :pr/1
>   error: unable to push to unqualified destination: pr/1
>   The destination refspec neither matches an existing ref on the remote nor
>   begins with refs/, and we are unable to guess a prefix based on the source
>   ref.
>   error: failed to push some refs to 'git at github.com:ipxe/ipxe.git'

Oh, maybe you just need to actually name it in full:
git push github :refs/pull/1/head

Shouldn't be to hard to make a git alias for that, I guess (if it works).

> From reading another comment in that same thread:
>
>   https://gist.github.com/piscisaureus/3342247/#comment-662297
>
> it seems as though this might just not be supported by github.

Yeah, that might be right, that they don't support deleting PRs directly
using the git interface. In that case, you might be interested to to
know about this tool:

http://thechangelog.com/git-pulls-command-line-tool-for-github-pull-requests/

It does require you to install rubygems, but most likely your distro
package manager already has this.

If that doesn't work for you, I can try to cobble together something
using perl that will at least allow you to view open and closed PRs
(possibly together with the title, author and URL to interact with it on
the web) so you know which PRs to ignore in your git remote branch list.

-- Robin