[ipxe-devel] Patch tracking

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Mar 6 01:07:23 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 05 Mar 2013 21:43:05 Robin Smidsrød wrote:
> Basically you should be able to add this to your .git/config:
>
> [remote "github"]
> 	url = git://github.com/ipxe/ipxe.git
> 	fetch = +refs/pull/*/head:refs/remotes/github/pr/*
> 	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/github/*
>
> If you change the URL to git at github.com/ipxe/ipxe.git and you have setup
> your SSH key properly with GitHub you should technically be able to do
> "git push github :pr/X" (because you should have write access).
>
> Since I don't have write access I can't confirm the impact of said
> change. It's important that the fetch line with "refs/pull/*/head" comes
> before "refs/heads/*", or else git fetch --all -p would just delete the
> local PR refs during pruning.
>
> You might also find this particular comment useful depending on your
> workflow: https://gist.github.com/piscisaureus/3342247/#comment-608797

Fetching the github pull-request branches works fine, but there seems to be no
way to delete them:

  [mcb30 at dolphin src (master)]$ git fetch github -p
  From github.com:ipxe/ipxe
   * [new branch]      refs/pull/1/head -> github/pr/1
   * [new branch]      refs/pull/2/head -> github/pr/2
   * [new branch]      refs/pull/3/head -> github/pr/3
   * [new branch]      refs/pull/4/head -> github/pr/4
   * [new branch]      refs/pull/5/head -> github/pr/5
   * [new branch]      refs/pull/6/head -> github/pr/6
   * [new branch]      refs/pull/7/head -> github/pr/7
   * [new branch]      master     -> github/master
  [mcb30 at dolphin src (master)]$ git push github :pr/1
  error: unable to push to unqualified destination: pr/1
  The destination refspec neither matches an existing ref on the remote nor
  begins with refs/, and we are unable to guess a prefix based on the source
  ref.
  error: failed to push some refs to 'git at github.com:ipxe/ipxe.git'

From reading another comment in that same thread:

  https://gist.github.com/piscisaureus/3342247/#comment-662297

it seems as though this might just not be supported by github.