[ipxe-devel] iPXE DHCP timed out with tg3 and Cisco sw. wo "spanning-tree portfast"

Václav Ovsík vaclav.ovsik at i.cz
Wed Oct 10 10:59:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:38:48AM +0100, Michael Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 Oct 2012 11:31:35 Václav Ovsík wrote:
> > I just tested a rather new iPXE (cloned git repo) on Dell Latitude D830
> > connected to a port on Cisco switch configured without option
> > "spanning-tree portfast". That is it takes about 30 seconds to transmit
> > packets over it after bringing link up.
>
> Use an embedded script such as:
>
>   #!ipxe
>   ifopen net0
>   sleep 30
>   autoboot net0

OK, thanks.
I have other switch ports with option spanning-tree portfast or other
devices where driver not brings interface down/up and there is DHCP
assignment under 1 sec. The ports without portfast are only in server
rooms. I really don't want 30 sec delay everywhere.

I tried embedded script with dhcp retry, but command dhcp itself
probably causes port up/down, so it loops indefinitely :(.

#!ipxe
prompt --key 0x02 --timeout 2000 Press Ctrl-B for the iPXE command line... && shell ||
:retry_dhcp
dhcp && isset ${filename} || goto retry_dhcp
echo Booting from ${filename}
chain ${filename}

So DHCP_MAX_TIMEOUT increasing is the only solution I know.

Kindly Regards
--
Zito