[ipxe-devel] iPXE DHCP timed out with tg3 and Cisco sw. wo "spanning-tree portfast"

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Wed Oct 10 10:52:30 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:38:48AM +0100, Michael Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 Oct 2012 11:31:35 Václav Ovsík wrote:
> > I just tested a rather new iPXE (cloned git repo) on Dell Latitude D830
> > connected to a port on Cisco switch configured without option
> > "spanning-tree portfast". That is it takes about 30 seconds to transmit
> > packets over it after bringing link up.
>
> Use an embedded script such as:
>
>   #!ipxe
>   ifopen net0
>   sleep 30
>   autoboot net0

I use my ipxe binary on multiple networks and some has "portfasts" and some
don't. With this script I always have to wait 30 seconds more for network
connection.

An "dhcp --timeout=30" option should increase boot on fast ports.
May be 30 seconds should be default for dhcp commands, this is not so
long for normal connection and if dhcp client can't find address, then
it can't continue without user interaction.

				SAL