[ipxe-devel] WinPE 3.0, boot with iSCSI target

Marek Salwerowicz marek_sal at wp.pl
Wed Mar 14 23:06:42 UTC 2012

Hi Andrew,

W dniu 2012-03-14 16:22, Andrew Bobulsky pisze:
> Hello Marek,
>
> I find myself unable to load the gregorystrike.com domain you
> reference in your email, so I'll try my best here at a solution for
> you:
I put this site as attachment - have a look at it.

> Double check the contents of your ISO file.  If you're attempting to
> boot a flat WinPE ISO, where you see a \Windows and \Program Files
> directory, while you *shouldn't* be experiencing an error reading the
> BCD, it will fail at a later point in time.  Generally, you'll only be
> able to SAN-Boot a WinPE ISO that extracts the PE from a .wim file,
> usually located in \Sources\boot.wim.
My current directory structure is:
<root>
       |---boot
       |---EFI
       |---sources
             \---boot.wim
       |---bootmgr

I am not sure if I understand your thinking,
shoud I extract the wim file and prepare only its content as ISO image?

> Second, I'm guessing that you're attempting to install directly to an
> iSCSI target.  You'll want to change your 'sanhook' directive to omit
> the '--no-describe' option.  That option prevents the SAN disk from
> being written into the iBFT, and as such it will not get passed to
> your WinPE when it boots.  Also, you *may* have more success if you
> mount the ISO as a drive letter more formally seen as an optical disk,
> such as 0xE0.  As such, your new boot commands would look like:
>
> dhcp
> set keep-san 1
> sanhook --drive 0x80 iscsi:192.168.146.132::::iqn.2012-01.local:win7disk
> sanboot --drive 0xE0 --no-describe http://10.0.0.1/path.to.WinPE.iso
It also doesn't work for me - result is the same

> It's entirely possible that this might not work at all, or leave you
> in the exact same situation.  But, I've had a few minor tweaks like
> those resolve some issues with more stubborn machine BIOSes in the
> past, and hope that it might work for you ;)
I am trying to run it under VMWare workstation 8
My iSCSI storage is FreeNAS, also under VMWare.

--
Regards,
Marek Salwerowicz