[ipxe-devel] Keymap support

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 16:29:26 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 16 Mar 2011 14:58:11 Sven Dreyer wrote:
> find attached a keymap patch for the german (de) keymap.
> The key "<" on US keyboard has to be mapped to ";" on german keyboard.
>
> Most other (german umlauts, like ÄÖÜ) cannot be mapped since they are
> not on the US keymap, but that's no problem since they are avoided in
> URLs, passwords and so on.

Thanks for that.  We need to work out how to fix this in the keymap generator
(util/genkeymap.pl), rather than patching the generated keymap directly.

Running "./util/genkeymap.pl --verbose de" shows

  In keymap 1: '<' => ';' (ignored)

which indicates that although genkeymap.pl has detected that keymap 1 ("with
shift pressed") requires a mapping from '<' to ';', this is overridden because
keymap 0 ("no shift or ctrl pressed") already has a mapping from '<' to '<'.

I have looked at the keymaps in detail.  I think the problem is keycode 86:
with neither shift nor ctrl pressed, this key apparently generates a '<' on
both the "us" and "de" keyboard layouts.

On my ("uk") keyboard, this is the key between the left shift and the first
letter ("z").  Does this key exist on your keyboard?  Is there a key anywhere
that you expect to produce a '<' with neither shift nor ctrl pressed?