[ipxe-devel] iPXE download protocols via EFI effort

Geoff Lywood glywood at vmware.com
Fri Aug 12 20:09:26 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

I think the VMware bootloader should be ok with that. Have you tried it both ways and found that it worked when you used a separate handle, but did not work when everything was on the same handle?

Can you give any more details as to what exactly is happening? Is it failing to load files with an "error 4: unsupported"? Or something else? I might be able to give you some insight, or maybe source code off-list, under the same NDA that gives you early access to ESXi. Note that VMware's EFI bootloader contains some GPL code, so we have to release the full source once vSphere 5 is public.

> The reason why I was tempted is that would preserve some things
> currently lost on the boot device handle since the new boot device
> handle has only the ipxe download protocol itself right now. For
> instance, being able to call device path protocol on the boot handle
> to extract mac address instead of relying upon argument list. Also,
> the ability for something like elilo's netfs to be modified to use
> ipxe_download and fallback to pxebasecode with a lot of the
> non-transfer code left intact and not duplicated. I suppose netfs.c
> could be modified to search first for the ipxe download protocol
> handle, and then add a call to the download protocol to get the
> original boot handle, but I think that could be messy compared to
> the simplicity of using the same handle for all the protocols. The
> alternative would be to write a whole new module (my first thought)
> with some amount of duplicated code and such.

One thing to consider is that architecturally, iPXE is designed to support multiple network cards. I doubt very many people seriously use that feature, but it exists. If there are multiple underlying devices, it's not obvious which handle to attach to. (That's my opinion, but you are welcome to prove me wrong.) I agree that for snponly.efi it doesn't matter much either way.

> If I cannot really reuse the boot device handle, then I'll have to
> flesh out the new handle in a few ways. Cloning the loaded image
> device path and either adding a way to get the 'real' boot handle or
> else duplicate data as needed (though the latter means potentially a
> lot of work and without knowing what confuses vmware's boot loader,
> I'd be likely to induce the same behavior anyway.

Yes, I suppose you would have to do that in order to support the needs of elilo. But like I said above, I think the VMware bootloader should work if you're using the same handle. (In fact, it should work better, because we have some logic to automatically detect the MAC address during a network boot, and that will only work if the Simple Network Protocol is present.) We obviously haven't tested this scenario, though, so anything might happen.

If you want to throw a pre-built iPXE bin-x86_64-efi/snponly.efi my way, I can probably spend an hour or two and figure out exactly what's going wrong.

Thanks,
Geoff