[ipxe-devel] UEFI iPXE download protocol

Jarrod Johnson jarrod.b.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 13:21:04 UTC 2011

Ok, I've finished (well, close enough).

Some time ago Geoff Lywood posted to gpxe-devel his draft at the time.  I've
taken that work and a few other things he gave me and ported it over to iPXE
head and changed a few things.

First there is the implementation of the download protocol:
https://git.ipxe.org/people/jbjohnso/ipxe.git/commit/d748ebf72206dcde1379b063fd9b533f7572caa5

Then changing efi_image to install the protocol before starting an efi image
(this one may warrant having the uninstall moved like Itay moved the rest of
the related code, I don't quite understand how all that works)
https://git.ipxe.org/people/jbjohnso/ipxe.git/commit/e7b41890bc67350a9f5bcf7291ec859fa2174e26

Then, he had some other work to flesh out the loaded image structure before
starting the image (bad things like elilo hanging would occur without this
patch, plus the efi argument list means nothing without it)
https://git.ipxe.org/people/jbjohnso/ipxe.git/commit/45a51f99fd51b231a388b1db00dfc4b18a5e9e4f

Finally, I changed his code to install the protocol on iPXE's boot handle.
 This is sufficient for snponly.efi, but other cases could be very wrong.
 If someone who understands the lay of the land better wanted to adopt this
and make it specifically determine the handle providing the SNP protocol
instance in use at the time, that would probably be more robust.  I would
think that possible since this is only installed as efi_image is about to
start an image that was presumably transferred via IPXE already, so some SNP
instance is already active.
https://git.ipxe.org/people/jbjohnso/ipxe.git/commit/23aea6c209965546c39569a770823eabf1358a71

Many thanks for Geoff's original contribution and his help in testing that
last change.

Now I'm going to go modify elilo netfs to detect and prefer this protocol
for transferring data in a way analogous to haw syslinux does things in
non-uefi mode.