[ipxe-devel] nomenclature to use...

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 00:45:29 UTC 2010

On Monday 08 Nov 2010 17:37:08 carlyoung at keycomm.co.uk wrote:
> Sorry for the extremely newbie question, but when posting to this site are
>  iPXE and gPXE interchangeable as regards the PXE extensions or are the two
>  projects diverged now.

The projects are diverged.  Please use iPXE for all future purposes.

To fix the specific problem you have (which Shao identified), we could
potentially incorporate the "fragment" (and "query") portions of the URI
within the request sent to the TFTP server, i.e. reconstruct the original TFTP
filename before it was treated as a URI and parsed into its components.  An
alternative would be to pass the literal filename directly to the TFTP code,
bypassing the URI stage.  The latter seems cleaner at first glance, but only
the former would be able to directly cope with something like:

  #!ipxe
  chain tftp://server/#MPCPathBoot#/boothd

without requiring the use of URI escapes, e.g.

  #!ipxe
  chain tftp://server/%23MPCPathBoot%23/boothd

Thoughts, anyone?