[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] nomenclature to use...

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Nov 8 18:09:35 UTC 2010

  carlyoung at keycomm.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> ... ... ...

Hello.

> I am trying to find more information about the xPXE client in the HP
> DL580 G7, which I believe has an embedded QLogic NC375i quad-NIC .

I know this NIC. :)  It's the (previously NetXen) QLogic "Phantom" NIC.

> This has apparently been shipped with a "gPXE" client and I am having
> some interoperability problems with a PXE boot server in that the
> client sends a boot request with an empty boot filename despite the
> DHCP ack containing a filename (for TFTP access).

Can you capture the DHCP transaction with Wireshark or 'tcpdump' and
filter it for DHCP and share the resulting packets as an e-mail
attachment?  I don't quite understand what you mean by the client
sending an empty boot filename.  Do you mean it makes a TFTP request
with an empty filename?  If so, do you have a Control-B CLI?  If so, can
you please try:

  dhcp net0
  show filename

and report whether or not you got a filename from the DHCP service?

This NIC probably has an older version of gPXE on it, so we should keep
that in mind.

Hmmm...  Here's a re-send.  I somehow messed up the iPXE mailing-list in
the carbon-copy list.

- Shao Miller