[ipxe-devel] commit 3ef4f7e2ef4a22ea1e2eccc72957d7bf3fe2f945 breaks "prompt --key" command

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Fri Jul 7 13:10:39 UTC 2023

On 07/07/2023 09:32, Sven Dreyer via ipxe-devel wrote:
> I just noticed that my iPXE script containing a line "prompt --key
> 0x197e [..]" stopped working. Pressing F12 acted like I was pressing a
> different key. This worked in my last build from June 11.
>
> Thanks to the comprehensive documentation, I was able to bisect it to
> the following commit:
>
> commit 3ef4f7e2ef4a22ea1e2eccc72957d7bf3fe2f945
> Author: Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org>
> Date:   Tue Jul 4 14:31:07 2023 +0100
>
> I build iPXE on Debian Bullseye amd64. The resulting binary (.iso) was
> booted on a Qemu VM, also amd64 architecture.
>
> Just wanted to let you know. Thanks for this excellent piece of software!

That's a great catch, thank you.  That commit renumbered the internal
encoding used for special keys (such as F12) to avoid collisions with
the Unicode range, but neglected to allow for the fact that the internal
encoding is exposed to scripts via the "prompt" and "menu" commands.

Will design a fix now.

Thanks,