[ipxe-devel] Issues with Broadcom NICs in Dell R7625

Thomas Walker Thomas.Walker at twosigma.com
Thu Jan 19 16:48:51 UTC 2023

First off, I want to say thank you, the work done 2 years ago (https://github.com/ipxe/ipxe/commit/988d2c13cdf0f0b4140685af35ced70ac5b3283c) to fix walking through multiple instances of EFI_PCI_ROOT_BRIDGE_IO_PROTOCOL worked like a charm on another system with a funky bus layout (this is the next generation of the system that I encountered that problem on).  All appears to be working on that front.  But I'm encontering 2 problems (on master from a couple of weeks back, 7147532c):

The 1G LOM is a Broadcom 5720, nearly identical to the previous generation server that works fine.  Both good and bad are vendor:dev 14e4:165f and subvendor 1028.  The older (working) system has a subdevice of 08ff whereas the newer (sort of working) one has a subdevice of 0a6b.

While ipxe does appear to "work" with this adapter, it prints:

WARNING: Using legacy NIC wrapper on 79:79:79:79:79:79

Where that MAC obviously bears no relation to the actual MAC on the device.

This system also has an OCP slot fitted with a Broadcom 57414 (vendor:device 14e4:16d7 and subvendor:subdevice 1407:4145) and manages to dhcp but not much more.  Enabling debugging (DEBUG=bnxt:2) shows that, when "Configuring", it starts spewing:

assert(!iob) failed at drivers/net/bnxt/bnxt.c line 468

over and over until it finally fails and ipxe exits.  In fact, I had to compile bnxt out completely in order to boot the system off of the 1G LOM.

Any suggestions for either of these?

Thanks!