[ipxe-devel] Does imgextract keep writing to same named location by design?

John Hanks griznog at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 11:53:34 UTC 2022

Hi Michael,

You are triggering slightly undefined behaviour by using both
> "initrd=initrd.magic" and an explicit "initrd=<name>" argument.
>
> The "initrd=initrd.magic" will cause the kernel to already see an initrd
> that comprises the concatenation of all of the images as seen by
> "imgstat".  (The magic initrd will also include constructed CPIO headers
> for any images that have a non-empty argument list, but that's
> irrelevant for your use case.)
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Michael

Success!! This was where my confusion was shooting me in the foot, thanks
for the explanation. Once I stopped naming the images and only passed
initrd.magic on the boot line things are working and a few dozen reboots
into testing seem to be reliably predictable with the last archive winning
in the case of multiple files.

Thanks!

griznog