[ipxe-devel] Does imgextract keep writing to same named location by design?

John Hanks griznog at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:44:13 UTC 2022

Hi,

I am using imgextract to download several images, like so

imgextract --name one http://master/one.img
imgextract --name two http://master/two.img
imgextract --name three http://master/three.img
boot kernel initrd=initrd.magic initrd=one initrd=two initrd=three blah
blah blah

So far so good, except that I wanted to try adding a lot of these but am
restricted by the maximum kernel command line length. I naively tried

imgextract --name mysystem http://master/one.img
imgextract --name mysystem http://master/two.img
imgextract --name mysystem http://master/three.img
boot kernel initrd=initrd.magic initrd=mysystem blah blah blah

and it worked!!! But, that seems way too easy, like I'm cheating. Is this
expected to work this way or am I exploiting a bug that might get fixed
later? I don't want to depend on this unless it's working this way on
purpose.

Thanks,

griznog