[ipxe-devel] Observing iPXE downloading Failures

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Dec 18 14:11:43 UTC 2022

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 09:46:40AM +0000, Ramesh Soni -X (ramsoni - Altran ACT S.A.S at Cisco) via ipxe-devel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are observing image downloading failure using HTTP over iPXE. We
> have tried using linux curl utility for HTTP download which is working,
> and image downloading is completed within 2 minutes. Can anyone please
> guide us whether any tunning required for the http/tcp parameters in
> the iPXE code? How debugging can be done for this issue? Is there any
> open issues in iPXE for high latency http servers?

In the iPXE IRC channel there was a simular question.
The advice was to check if the HTTP server does sent content-length.
That got responded with a "How?"
The advice was to check with `curl`.
That got responded with a "We don't user curl".
Then there was silence.
(until now)

<screenshot setup="my test network">
$ curl --verbose tosher.yn:4556/chain.ipxe
*   Trying 172.24.4.2:4556...
* Connected to tosher.yn (172.24.4.2) port 4556 (#0)
> GET /chain.ipxe HTTP/1.1
> Host: tosher.yn:4556
> Accept: */*

* Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< content-length: 218
< accept-ranges: bytes
< content-type: application/octet-stream
< last-modified: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 13:54:14 GMT
< content-disposition: attachment; filename="chain.ipxe"
< etag: "54298e:da:63836c06:19eabb3a"
< date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 13:51:13 GMT
<
#!ipxe

echo Hostname as iPXE sees it ${hostname}

# ${ip} is IP address of client, known from DHCP
chain ${ip}.ipxe

echo You are not expected to be here, about to reboot ...
sleep 15
reboot

# l l
* Connection #0 to host tosher.yn left intact
$
</screenshot>

The '< content-length: 218' line is proof
that my HTTP server (at port 4556 of server tosher.yn)
does sent content-length header.

I hope this helps.

> Regards,
> Ramesh