[ipxe-devel] Generating a BIOS/UEFI hybrid ISO image

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Oct 7 19:07:38 UTC 2021

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 03:03:06PM +0100, Michael Brown wrote:
> On 07/10/2021 14:52, Dean Westhead wrote:
> > Sorry ... I didnt want to take lots of your time if it is only me
> > having this issue and everyone else is working fine.

It is not important how much "works for me" exists.
Interesting is exploring what can be improved.

> > In the old "working" ISO, there is the following files :
> >
> > boot.cat
> > efiboot.img
> > ipxe.krn
> > isolinux.bin
> > isolinux.cfg
> >
> > The new one that isnt seen as a EFI bootable disk has :
> >
> > boot.catalog
> > esp.img
> > ipxe.lkrn
> > isolinux.big
> > isolinux.cfg
> >
> > I will open the EFI image too and see what is in that as soon as i
> > can and let you know about that too.
>
> Thanks!  Most of those files are for BIOS booting: the relevant ones for
> UEFI are efiboot.img/esp.img, which should both be FAT filesystem images
> containing a file \EFI\Boot\BootX64.efi (which should be the ipxe.efi
> binary).

I think a "directory tree" will help.  As happy user of netbooting
systems can't I provide a "directory tree" of a known good.

An attempt to illustrate "directory tree" by using `tree /boot`
(Warning: non-ASCII characters ahead)

| $ tree /boot | wc
|     344    1346   12736
| $ tree /boot | grep -v -e .mo$ -e .mod$